Jane May is a partner at OKGC and has been with the firm since 1999. Jane focuses her practice on employment law, civil rights law, and municipal liability defense.
Jane has extensive litigation and client counseling experience. Prior to joining OKGC, she was an associate at two major litigation firms in Chicago. She regularly counsels clients on best practices with respect to employment policies and trains clients on Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act (OMA) compliance. She has successfully defended municipal clients in federal and state trial and appellate courts against First Amendment, Fourth Amendment, Due Process, Equal Protection, Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FOIA, OMA, and tort law claims.
Areas of Focus
- Employment Law
- Civil Rights Law
- Municipal Liability Defense
- General Tort Defense
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1991
- University of Chicago, B.A., 1988
- DeSmet v. County of Rock Island et. al. 219 Ill.2d 497 (2006)—Represented a defendant-county up to Illinois Supreme Court and obtained favorable result in seminal case addressing police protection services immunity under section 4-102 of the Illinois Tort Immunity Act.
- Michalowicz v. Bedford Park, 528 F.3d 530 (7th Cir. 2008)—Successfully defended a village against a former employee’s claim alleging due process violations under 42 U.S.C. Section 1983.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois